Travel Vaccinations Melbourne
Travel Vaccinations: protect yourself before you travel
No one likes to be sick in bed when on holiday. Travel vaccines can protect us against common infections especially those that are more prevalent overseas such as hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid, yellow fever, influenza, meningococcal, rabies and more.
Not all GP clinics in Melbourne stock travel vaccinations, however our Richmond clinic is located just 10 minutes from Melbourne CBD and stocks a full range of travel vaccines.
Travel vaccinations are a requirement to enter certain counties. We recommend getting travel vaccinations 4-6 weeks prior to traveling; this gives vaccines time to take effect and give you the required protection.
Yellow Fever Vaccination Melbourne
The only vaccine currently required by international regulations is the yellow fever vaccination. Travellers to certain African and South American countries must produce a certificate verifying their receipt of the vaccine otherwise to be allowed in.
Travel Vaccinations at our Richmond Travel Clinic
Here at our Richmond medical clinic we stock a comprehensive range of vaccinations. These include many common travel vaccinations:
- Hepatitis A – one vaccination protects for three years, two vaccinations within three years will give protection for over ten years in most people
- Hepatitis B – three vaccinations over six months will provide lifelong protection in most people
- Influenza – one vaccination protects for one year
- Typhoid – one vaccination protects for three years
- Chickenpox – two vaccinations will provide good immunity in most people
- Cholera – adult protection lasts two years with two doses, one week apart, children’s protection lasts six months with three doses, one week apart
- Japanese Encephalitis – two vaccinations four weeks apart protects for two to three years in most people
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella – two vaccinations will provide life-long protection in most people
- Meningococcal – one vaccination protects for three years
- Polio – one vaccination protects for ten years
- Whooping cough – one vaccination protects for ten years
- Yellow Fever – one vaccination will provide lifelong protection in most people
- Rabies – three vaccinations over three weeks protects for over ten years in most people
- Tetanus – one vaccination protects for between five and ten years in most people
For a list of all vaccination fess please see our fees page found here.
Your doctor can provide you with medications to reduce the transmission of malaria. When in malarial areas, suggested precautions against mosquito bites include:
- Avoid outdoor activity around dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
- Wear loose, long, light-coloured clothing.
- Use mosquito repellents on exposed skin and clothing.
- Don’t wear perfumes, colognes or aftershave.
- Use ‘knockdown’ sprays, mosquito coils and plug-in vaporising devices indoors.
- Sleep under mosquito nets treated with repellents or insecticides if windows don’t have fly screens
FREE Flu Shots & Influenza Immunisations
For more information, please see our Flu Shots page.
For more information please see our Children’s Health page.
Travel Advice and Vaccinations – Richmond, Abbotsford, Hawthorn, Melbourne CBD & surrounding suburbs
If you live or work in Richmond, Abbotsford, Hawthorn, Melbourne CBD and surrounding suburbs, our doctors at Yarra Medical in Richmond can provide you with all your travel vaccinations including yellow fever and whooping cough.
Our Richmond doctors offer bulk billing for travel vaccination consults for all children, health care and pension card holders Monday to Friday before 6pm only.
Yarra Medical is conveniently located just 100m from Victoria Gardens shopping centre. We are just a short tram ride from East Melbourne, Collingwood, Fitzroy and Melbourne City, so book your next appointment online at Yarra Medical today.