Gonorrhoea Treatment in Melbourne at Yarra Medical: Expert Advice and Comprehensive Care
We stock gonorrhoea injections and antibiotics on-site!
Book in with any of our doctors for treatment and follow-up testing today.
Welcome to Yarra Medical, your trusted healthcare provider in Melbourne. At Yarra Medical, we understand the importance of specialized and effective treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
Gonorrhoea Treatment in Melbourne at Yarra Medical: What You Need to Know
Gonorrhoea is a common STI caused by the Neisseria gonorrhoeae bacteria. It is primarily transmitted through unprotected sexual intercourse, including vaginal, oral, and anal sex. If left untreated, gonorrhoea can lead to severe health complications, such as pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), infertility, and an increased risk of HIV transmission.
Symptoms of Gonorrhoea
When it comes to identifying gonorrhoea, recognizing the symptoms is crucial. Although some individuals may not experience any symptoms, others may notice the following:
- Unusual discharge: Both men and women may experience abnormal discharge from the genitals. In men, the discharge is typically thick, white, or yellow. Women may notice increased vaginal discharge, often accompanied by a strong odor.
- Painful urination: A burning sensation or pain during urination is a common symptom of gonorrhoea.
- Pelvic pain: Women may experience pelvic pain or discomfort, particularly during sexual intercourse.
- Testicular pain: Men may notice swelling or pain in the testicles.
- Rectal symptoms: In cases of anal intercourse, individuals may experience rectal pain, discharge, or itching.
Testing and Diagnosis
If you suspect you have been exposed to gonorrhoea or are experiencing symptoms, it is important to seek medical attention promptly. At Yarra Medical, our healthcare professionals use advanced diagnostic techniques to accurately detect gonorrhoea.
- Physical examination: Our doctors will conduct a thorough physical examination to assess any visible signs or symptoms.
- Laboratory tests: We may collect samples of discharge or urine for laboratory testing. These tests can identify the presence of the Neisseria gonorrhoeae bacteria and confirm the diagnosis.
Gonorrhoea Treatment Options
At Yarra Medical, we offer comprehensive and individualized treatment plans for gonorrhoea. Our experienced healthcare professionals will assess your condition and recommend the most suitable treatment options.
- Antibiotic therapy: Gonorrhoea is typically treated with antibiotics to eliminate the bacterial infection. The choice of antibiotics may vary based on various factors, including antibiotic resistance patterns in your area.
- Dual therapy: Due to the increasing antibiotic resistance of gonorrhoea, dual therapy is often recommended. This involves combining two different antibiotics to maximize effectiveness and reduce the risk of treatment failure.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Can gonorrhoea be cured with medication?
Yes, gonorrhoea can be cured with appropriate medication. It is essential to complete the full course of antibiotics prescribed by your healthcare provider to ensure the infection is completely eradicated.
How long does gonorrhoea treatment usually last?
The duration of gonorrhoea treatment varies depending on the severity of the infection and individual factors. Typically, treatment can range from a single dose to a week-long course of antibiotics.
Is it necessary for my partner to be treated as well?
Yes, it is crucial for sexual partners to seek medical attention and receive treatment. Treating both partners simultaneously is essential to prevent reinfection and reduce the risk of complications.
Can I have sex while undergoing gonorrhoea treatment?
It is essential to abstain from sexual activity until you have completed the full course of treatment and your healthcare provider confirms that you are no longer contagious. Engaging in sexual activity during treatment can increase the risk of transmission and reinfection.
Are there any long-term complications of gonorrhoea?
If left untreated, gonorrhoea can lead to severe health complications. In women, it can cause pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), which can result in chronic pelvic pain and fertility problems. Additionally, gonorrhoea increases the risk of ectopic pregnancy and can be passed on to the newborn during childbirth.
How can I prevent gonorrhoea?
Practicing safe sex by using condoms consistently and correctly, limiting sexual partners, and undergoing regular STI screenings can significantly reduce the risk of gonorrhoea and other STIs.
Yarra Medical is your trusted destination for effective and compassionate gonorrhoea treatment in Melbourne. Our experienced healthcare professionals are committed to providing comprehensive care and ensuring your well-being. If you suspect you may have gonorrhoea or require further information, do not hesitate to contact us. Take charge of your sexual health and let Yarra Medical be your partner in care.